
Wouldn't it be nice if we could only, "pull the tricks out of our sleeves"?
I arrived back at Luck Spring after the big run...
Despite Zsa Zsa's 2 a.m. efforts to update me on J-Mill's flight details, and due to my apparent weakness to verbally confirm important facts--while still sleeping--I found myself groggily starring down the flight board at the park-and-wait. What had seemed to only be a dream was a reality, and in fact, the flight landed at 11:17 a.m--not 6. Not aware of that single detail, I analyzed the lonely flight arrival on the board and wondered, "would a flight from
After a quick phone call with my dear sweet Zsa Zsa to confirm, I realized that five hours of an expectedly busy day were lost. I'd have to cancel on J-heff's and my hiking trip, and I'd miss the Alpine 6th Tigers' annual 4th of July breakfast feast. Frustrated with "life" ever-gradually being overshadowed by "work" in the bosses' so called "work-life balance", and in this particular week that being ever such the case, I eagerly looked forward toward a spur-of-the-moment Plan B: the big run.
The big run had been my target since March. It looked like a beautiful run with a perfect climb and a gradual decent. It wouldn't, however, result in being the longest distance I've ever run... that run was done with brand new running shoes and in the long, hot
Ach, but conditions were perfect! On this day I couldn’t miss the opportunity. I had ample time before J-Mill’s arrival, those new running shoes were finally broken-in, and it was still early and cool enough, yet just at sunrise, to see that fresh morning light hitting the Oquirrh’s. On this particular run, you see, I’d find myself skirting the base of
* * * * *
But I still hate running and I didn't even run a full Marathon. “Why run when you’re not chasing a soccer ball?”, I argue. I swear it's not healthy for one's body to run more that 11 or 12 miles... I even know someone who runs Ultra-marathons--that's 2 Marathons, at once! As much as I admire her, no one has enough endorphins to enjoy that torture.
Eventhough you're only casually reading this blog posting, I already know what you're about to say... You want to say, "but what does the Journal of Endocrinology have to say about this?" Well, fine, here you have it: (but don't blame me if you don't like what you read)
Running is like taking time out of your Saturday morning to go play Frisbee. That is the ultimate way to waste your time and have nothing to show for it but a lower semen count. (no offense, BYU Freshman class of 2001).
Granted, it’s done my body good. Running’s done that, as has chocolate milk (do you realize how much protein is in choco milk?)… In addition, Emmitt’s troubled looks ease week by week as I’m able to give just a little more endurance on the field. Yet, Goldman’s indoor team still loses... But really, it’s not bad for a bunch of busy bankers.
If the added running hasn’t helped the Goldman indoor team enough, at least I could keep up with the Goldman cycling team. Learning that one can ride another’s drift (yeah, like in NASCAR), I was able to stick with the team for the full ride, and quite possibly have one of the most fun rides of my life at the Harmon’s Best Dam Bike Ride. Thanks for your contributions towards MS research, everyone.
Below is my promised “look” in spandex-esque:
.jpg)
* * * * *
It’s finally been a good summer, what with all the running, kicking, and biking. But the good summer had come almost too late. With the long wet spring and half-summer, I thought I wouldn’t’ve achieved my bigger goal. But after a fantastic hike to Cardwell over the weekend, I’ve found myself re-energized and excited to complete the rest.
…and then there’s Orderville this Saturday, Willard and Ben Lomond next week, Montana/Glacier/Canada in August, Modest Mouse, Phoenix, Placebo (all in concert, all in SLC), and the big grad school apps in September. Life’s outlook shines golden, right now.
* * * * *
“Because Nobody Knows Ya, and Nobody Gives A Damn Anyway”
No comments:
Post a Comment