Saturday, September 18, 2010

Nobody Raise Your Voices, It's Just Another Night in Nantes...

I figure the curvature of my general risk function is fairly concave, and I consider myself not as risk-averse as most. But yet, I'm probably not savvy enough to make a $500k gamble. So far I'm being dealt favorable hands... But one can't ignore the long-term student loan principal & interest payments that'll keep my standard of living certainly the same later as before. In addition, you add in the opportunity cost of 2 lost years of annual income, and the propensity to flunk-out or maybe just not land a job, and you'll get lost in the ever-increasing curving of an already curved line. That risk premium is wider than ever in my life, but I can't afford to pay it. So, I'm just banking on the upside, I suppose. I like to think that there's always chapter 11, but according to Uncle Sam, bankruptcy doesn't apply to student loans...

I've been reassured that I've made the right choice. And I'm comfortable & confident being a student at Mr. Jefferson's "Darden". I've already settled back into the "college life", which is even easier to appreciate having worked those 60-hour weeks for three years at Goldman's. I've also found myself relishing each step & each opportunity of the experience, and I'm being stretched & challenged in those ways that are good for me. On the 9-month horizon (my first year at Darden) I see my likely participation in a marketing competition in D.C., a Christmas job trek in Seattle, and a hopeful Spring Break Kaizen placement for a few weeks in India. Spring Break, Mumbai, woo! Show us your Shiva's!..

I could do/be anything I want, and I don't feel like I've earned that right, somehow. I know it's a means to my life's mission's end... But I don't doubt that I've made quite the gamble, all things considered...

* * * * *

colorado












































































* * * * *

missouri





























































* * * * *

kentucky































































* * * * *

illinois
























* * * * *

tennessee

























* * * * *

virginia



































Und es begab sich: Der Herr des Weingartens ging seines Weges

und verbarg die natürlichen Zweige des edlen Ölbaums in den untersten Teilen des Weingartens,

einige in dem einen und einige in dem anderen, wie er wollte und wie es ihm gefiel.


4 comments:

Whittron said...

why aren't the russell's featured in the Nebraska section?

AllgauerJodler said...

It's really embarrassing, cuz I had this great shot of Amanda and the girls, but later realized that my memory card wasn't in the camera... Seriously disappointing... but here's hoping I find myself back in Omaha again one day. Whit, if you haven't been out to Omaha yet, you gotta go.

Jeff Denison said...

I love the shot of the family and me in the garden house at Monticello!!

AllgauerJodler said...

I know, right? Best photo ever.