***The following post has been amended because, apparently, I'm not the only one reading this at work...***
One, Two, you know what to do.
I'm making my move, lettin' loose like a belt.
A little worse for wear, but I'm wearing it well.
Don't let it hold you back, but you're already set.
No dead flowers gonna grow till the dirt gets wet.
You know, there's nothing much better in life, than a good Beck lyric. Like above. It's about dancin', sweatin', and forgettin' what's on your mind. It's a personal "plus" to any mix.
It's almost as good as text conversations with Mark, such as the following:
Mark: I've got your gloves.
Tom: I did it! I talked to ***Edited by Author***! We shared an elevator... things are looking up for me!
Tom: I'll get my gloves later... I don't need 'em. My "body"'s on fire with passionate love!
Mark: Good day huh?!
Tom: And she knew my name!
Mark: Ha ha you're famous! With her at least and thats all that matters!
Later on I explained to Mark, and I confidently explain to all readers of this blog, that yes, ***Edited by Author*** and I will probably get married. And we will probably have six kids.
Mark is a good friend. He encourages me to do things I otherwise wouldn't do. Like with ***Edited by Author***, for example, he (and Laura very much so) encouraged me and suggested hints on how to hit it off with ***Edited by Author***. And as is obvious to any reader, things are obviously going well on that front. But this is all besides the point. I have a job that expects a lot of time and work from me, which I don't mind, but it can tend to strain my mood when I'm finished with work. That's why it's nice to have a little bit of "elevator music" when I'm off and free. Today it was ***Edited by Author*** that put me in good moods when she commented on my cool plaid jacket. That's how you know she's got good taste--because let's be honest: my plaid jacket is pretty damn cool. Sometimes my "elevator music" involves lengthier, however costlier, weekend "elevator musics". Such as one of the most beautiful, perfect, and sweetest weekends ever... Last weekend, the first weekend of 2009, Jeff, Mark and I went to Wyoming.

Let me first mention that it was cold. Really cold. Instant shrinkage cold, as it is often described. To use an example, on Sunday when we began the drive home, it was -30 degrees FAHRENHEIT... not celsius, as I remember the ol' mission trackting days to be, but rather of the Ray Bradbury variety. But any snowshoer will know, that the cold only facilitates a good snow shoeing trek, as it did for us. Jeff, Mark and I, when not trapped behind blizzards and complete white-outs, took advantage of the opportunities in front of us, also known as every square inch within Grand Teton National Park, to strap-on the ol' rackets and see mother nature's splendor in the way that she herself would envy. The snow was never softer, nor the skies clearer, as we waded through the woods of western Wyoming. Day 1 included Colter Bay and a lake side trail. Although the skies were overcast (the truck had just survived a blizzard drive, afterall) we quickly found ourselves out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing more than the occasional man-eating bear in the neighborhood.
Remember when I mentioned that
Mark always encourages me to do things that I otherwise might hesitate to do? Well, day 2 was just one of those experiences. I personally thought it would be overcast, again, as the forecast predicted. But we made our way out anyway and soon found ourselves out in the woods. Again, it was cold really cold. Mark had just a beanie but I must've had every skin cell covered with some sort of covering, which I only removed to take a quick, yet awkward, shot of my smilin' mug. But as we began up the hill towards Signal Mountain, the numb fingers quickly thawed giving me that stinging feeling that I love. You might know it as that moment when your nerves wake up and begin to freak out, giving yourself needle prick-like sensations until the nerves are well satisfied. I've always loved that moment, because as a kid (and later as a mo-mo mishionary) it was a reassuring feeling that I would, in fact, not die from the cold, and my body would remained to survive until I'd get home...But anyway, we climbed over hills, through forests and into meadows were the snow had yet to betray any sign of life. Mark and I, being the fearless adventurers that we are, a.k.a. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (I'm Sundance), happily de-virginized (that's an ugly word, I know) the meadows, and became likely the first visitors to that nook of the world this Winter.

One of many meadows
Mark Hikin' the Signal
Lone Elk

Future Bean Museum Photo Show Winner

Completely stunned and pleased



5 comments:
My favorite part of Signal Peak was the sounds and feeling of the snow settling as we "devirginized" the forest! Great Photos Tom!
***Edited due to content***
Post a Comment